What Is Hypnobirthing?
You’re pregnant, congratulations! Now, how is that little beauty going to get out of there?!
Great question, and one you’ll think about a lot.
Traditional hypnobirthing might conjure up scenes of flower power, incense sticks, new age music, daisy chains, chanting, and I imagine, a fair amount of vagina whispering to coax your baby into the world.
Today hypnobirthing means different things to different people so if you’re looking to increase your chances of a calm, confident and comfortable birth read on.
There are many different schools that deliver hypnobirth training to instructors. The quality of what you receive depends on a few variables:
- What did the teacher study and with whom?
- How competent do you think she’ll be in teaching that information?
- How does she deliver the information? Is it privately, in a group? What type of learner are you?
- What resources does the teacher include in the hypnobirthing programme? (I include a manual and MP3 recordings)
- What additional experience or expertise does she have to share with you? (for example I’m also a women’s confidence coach and I teach prenatal yoga)
- Is she skilled enough to tailor what she knows to you and your baby?
- Do you LIKE her? You’ll be spending time in her company during one of the most precious times of your life. You’ll need to like how she makes you feel, and trust her with what is probably the most important birth day you’ll ever plan!
- Is she funny, serious, right blend of both? Do you feel you can trust her?
- Where are the classes held? I teach from the comfort of my home in Hebden Bridge, a converted chapel, because I want you to feel good, have easy access to a nice loo, drink as much tea as you like, and be in charge of the heating system! I value privacy and connection. This is a special time and you deserve the best.
I’d like to make this really easy for you; you have enough to think about. Traditional hypnobirthing teaches self-hypnosis, relaxation and breathing techniques to support you to have a calm and relaxed labour and birth. It focussed primarily on a pain-free, natural childbirth.
At Divine Hypnobirthing I go a couple of steps further and some to the side (think cha-cha). You can thank me later.
I teach a complete birth education programme so that you understand what’s happening to you at a physical level, and I give you the tools and techniques to cope with the unexpected - whether you give birth at home, in a birthing centre, a hospital or the supermarket carpark. There is no judgement if you’re planning to take all the drugs you can get your hands on (though chances are that after my course you won’t need to). What I teach supports you whether you need to have a c-section, an induction or a vaginal birth. It supports you whether this is your first baby or not. You, your baby and your birthing partner will be supported. I help you create a connected family from the outset.
And, you don’t even have to know what a lotus flower looks like! Phew.
I teach The Wise Hippo Birthing Programme: “We believe a ‘positive birth’ experience is a state of mind. It’s not defined by what happens during labour and birth but by how a woman feels about her baby’s birth. Because of this belief we are able to teach skills and knowledge that empower women to trust their instincts and ensure that their baby has the right birth on the day.”
Divine Hypnobirthing teaches gives you invaluable tools to overcome your fears, to be calm and in control during labour and birth, and I teach your birthing partner how to support you so that they don’t rub away their thumbprints texting and feeling like a spare part. What I teach is based on science, and not the boring kind from school.
What else will you experience?
- How to stay protected from other people’s negative thoughts about birth
- New found confidence and self-belief
- Tools for life and parenting (once your baby’s born it’s all change!)
- How to stay connected to your partner and bond with your baby
- Mini solutions to problems you haven’t even thought of yet!
- I share teaching through videos, audio, reading material, and hands on experience so no matter what kind of learner you are you’ll ‘get it’
- If you take part in a group programme you’ll find community, friendship and wisdom, if you work with me privately expect sanctuary and deep listening
- What I teach has the capacity to change your life, your baby’s life, and the way you (and your husband or partner) parent
Got a few more questions? Check out the FAQ here.
Ready to sign up and become an expert at instant relaxation no matter what? Check out how you can work with me, and if you don’t see exactly what you’re after get in touch and I’ll create what you need.